The longer we are in the Army we are feeling how small it is and that you never know who you are going to run into again one day! It makes it fun to move from place to place and see who you know and what mutual connections you have. It makes being far from family a little more bearable to see friendly familiar faces.
Emma and I met through a mutual friend when we were living in Georgia, and I was excited when she found me and contacted me about getting family photos done shortly after they arrived in New York. We had a beautiful Fall morning in Sackets Harbor, and I couldn’t have asked for a sweeter family or well mannered baby! He was a champ through the whole session.
Thank you Wohlschlegel family for allowing me to capture this special time for your family!!
Homecomings are so emotional and beautiful. Ever since my husband’s homecoming 2 months ago, I knew more than ever that I wanted to have the opportunity to capture one. Anna and I met while both of our husbands were deployed and connected immediately. She is the sweetest, talented woman, and her strength throughout this deployment was beautiful. When she asked me to come and photograph her reunion with Caleb, I was both honored and excited.
Seeing Anna’s excitement to welcome Caleb home was infectious. I was anxious and excited for her as we kept checking the time and counted down the minutes until they opened the doors to let those heroes inside! Those last few minutes feel like an eternity, but the hope and excitement of your solider being behind those doors is the best feeling ever.
I might have gone overboard in sharing, but these two are just too sweet to not over share!
Welcome Home, Caleb!
When they announce the ceremony is about to start!
That moment you spot him!
The moment you realize you’re about to be in his arms!
I wanted to share with you all the week by week growth of our little guy. I haven’t been very good at doing this, but since I haven’t wanted to make all things about pregnancy all the time, it works out well to just have it all in one place. I know I will be thankful to have this to look back at.
At the beginning of our journey I decided that I really wanted to get one maternity dress and wear it for all of my weekly bump pictures throughout my whole pregnancy. I chose this comfy black maternity dress from H&M, ordered it one size up from my normal size and I have been really happy with it! It is really comfy and I have loved wearing the same thing for each of these photos to see how he has grown. I definitely recommend doing this if you are planning on doing weekly bump pics.
I have not had a nice perfectly round belly throughout my pregnancy. In fact, most of the times he is not perfectly round at all. Some days my belly was lumpy, sometimes round, sometimes pointy. Turns out he likes to poke his little booty out near my left rib, and so that is definitely what was giving me a not so round bump some of the time. Haha Oh well, nothing in pregnancy is going to be perfect and I am thankful he’s been healthy and moving around!
Every first time mom I think wants a real baby bump early on so people can notice you’re pregnant, but in all honesty, he was so tiny and I am sure from week 8 when we started taking pictures, until around week 17, it was mostly a baby bloat. Now I look back to when I thought I had a bump and compare it to now I realize I was so tiny! I have included a few fun facts that I want to remember for certain weeks as well.
8.5 & 11 WEEKS
-These weeks were special to us because Kevin was here! We went on a trip through some of New England and were praising God I felt really well in the first trimester so we could enjoy our time.
-We got to have an extra in-office ultrasound and see our little bean popping around and see his/her little arms and legs wiggling around. So thankful Kevin was able to be at the appointment with me to see it.
-Kevin put the crib together- because daddy needed to be the one to do that important task.
13 & 14.5 WEEKS
-13 weeks was the last time Kevin saw me in person. I didn’t even think it was actually baby making that little bump!
16 & 18 WEEKS
-I was able to start drinking coffee again because it finally appealed to me!
-16 weeks marked the first time I was able to hear baby’s heartbeat and of course recorded it and sent it to Kevin.
-Week 16 brought the first little “flick” that I felt one night. And it was confirmed when it happened again the next night, and then a few days later after I think I gave my child a little kick with the coffee I drank…whoops haha
-Around 18 weeks, I was visiting my family when my mom looked at me one day and said, “I think you’re actually starting to look a little pregnant!” Woohoo! haha
-Starting to feel baby from the outside!
-Ultrasound time! The technician accidentally let the cat out of the bag and said it was a boy by saying “his leg, his kidney…” I told him I was waiting to find out with my husband…he tried to cover it up…but he just messed up too many times. haha Still surprised though when we bit into the cookie pop my friend Emily made and was special to find out for real together!
-We told everyone we are having a BOY!
-Family and friends started to be able to feel him move.
-This week I had a stranger notice that I was pregnant…airport security, and she even guessed that I was having a boy!
-Loving feeling him popping around in there!
-He started really responding to lights I would shine on my belly and music when I played it for him.
-A few strangers noticed my baby bump, I always enjoy when people notice and ask :)
-Around 28 weeks is when the hiccups started! He is our hiccup king. It is crazy how often he gets them!
-This is the week I noticed I could not see my toes when I looked down.
-Whenever I rest things on my belly this kid started pushing back up at it…it is usually a coffee mug. I guess he doesn’t like being used as a table. haha
-Blessed by a beautiful baby shower this week! So thankful so many people who love us were able to be there!
-This child likes to sleep deeply at night. When I wake up to use the bathroom I usually start talking to him to get him to move around and check on him, but he is in such a deep sleep that I can talk to him, shine a light at him, play music for him and it takes him forever to wake up. My midwife told me I shouldn’t wake him while he’s sleeping at night, but I just want to make sure he is okay..haha He has never woken me in my sleep with his moving around so maybe he will be a good night sleeper! (here’s hoping!)
-Started to feel some more of the aches and pains of pregnancy this week, some hip pain and lower back pain.
-He’s also cramping things a lot at this point and making my acid reflux worse and making it harder to eat a lot at one time.
-New York baby shower this week, very blessed!
-Ready for him to drop a little bit and give my lungs and insides a little bit more room, but feeling good and staying active!
-Started noticing more Braxton-hicks contractions and the aches and pains of the end of pregnancy are showing up a little bit more. Also think he is starting to drop a little bit.
-My midwife told me we have a very relaxed baby based on his heart rate, so if momma is stressed it is not rubbing off on him. I think he is going to be just like his daddy, mellow and easy going.
-Still get people who can’t believe we are due so soon, which is a nice compliment because I am starting to feel a lot bigger!
-Love how our little man responds to my voice when I talk to him throughout the day
-Can’t believe we only have 2 more weeks until he is due! So crazy!!
As a lot of you probably noticed, I have taken quite a long sabbatical from blogging. And sort of photography as a whole. Looking back I actually thought that the past 7 months would have been filled with some of the most blogging I have ever done. Boy was I wrong!
Last summer I really wanted to spend as much time as I could with Kevin, and so blogging took the back burner besides blogging a few sessions. Then Fall came and blogging took even more of a back burner and I didn’t even really blog the sessions that I did do. It started feeling like a chore. I felt like I didn’t have anything to really share and I just felt disconnected. I think it was a good idea to take a break. There was a time I was blogging for me, to document our lives, to share the things I was learning and growing in, and then I started to feel pressured to do it for business and to make a name for myself in New York, and Facebook was making it so hard for my posts to be seen, and it didn’t feel fun anymore.
I have always wanted to have this blog to look back on as a documentation of our lives, to keep in touch with family and friends, and just ultimately be an encouragement to those who read it. To be a space where I can shoot for fun, photograph the mundane, talk about things that have nothing to do with photography. I truly want to get back into that, for me. (My website/blog certainly need a bit of a makeover, but we are just going to have to hold off on that for now.)
Soooo one of the biggest life changes since this past summer and the biggest recap I can give to start us off is that we are having a baby boy and he is due next month! Part of me wishes that I would have given updates on here as we were going along (before I was almost 36 weeks that is), but part of me is happy I have been quiet, enjoyed time with family, and allowed this time to be a time to connect with others, grow in the Lord, and learn from this season of life.
Here are a few photos to start us off and a few updates! I plan on doing a post with my week by week photos too so I can see how much he has grown and those who are interested can see as well. I also might reveal his name to the world before he is born…but haven’t fully committed yet!
9 UPDATES ON THE LAST 35.5 WEEKS…
1. We found out we were expecting on July 7th 2015 at like 6am in the morning when Kevin got up to go to PT. I was in shock and not really sure how to react, so I did not react in the way I would have imagined. But I definitely could not go to sleep after Kevin left for the day!
2. We told our family almost immediately, which is widely thought of as not the “right” decision or way to do things, but we really felt like the Lord wanted us to share and celebrate this little life right away! And we are so glad we did! There were certainly tears and screaming :)
3. I didn’t really have any morning sickness, just a couple weeks where I felt off and slightly nauseous and couldn’t figure out what to eat or what sounded good to me. Praise the Lord! I however was not able to drink coffee until close to 16 weeks because it just did not sound good to me. I tried. Multiple times.
4. Kevin was able to be here for the whole first trimester and see the baby on the office ultrasound twice- yay!
5. Around 16 weeks I started to feel a little popcorn feeling that I described as feeling like someone was flicking me with their finger from the inside!
6. October 23rd I had the 20 week ultrasound to find out the sex of the baby! I told the technician I did NOT want to know because I wanted to find out later with my husband. (I had a friend lined up to make cookie pops with the color blue or pink inside!) But at some point during the ultrasound the guy started saying “his leg” “his kidney”…and sooo I got a little suspicious. Especially when he caught himself at the end and goes “or hers! cause it might be a girl too!” haha nice try buddy, but I tried really hard to believe him! Later in the day we were officially able to find out it was in fact a BOY that we were having which the beautiful cookie pops Emily made.
6. Around 20 weeks if you tried really hard to sit still and focus others could feel him moving on the outside! So exciting!
7. Since the 3rd trimester this child has had his fair share of hiccups. He seriously gets them at least 3 times a day. They tell me it is good for them and means he is drinking the fluid. I say that he is just like his daddy in that way, if it is in front of him, he is going to drink it just for the heck of it because it is there. haha If you have ever gone out to dinner with my husband and seen how many sweet teas he can drink, then you know what I mean! haha
8. Baby boy and I have been incredibly blessed to be taken care of and have spent so much time with family and friends since September! We could not be more thankful for that precious time!
9. We are only 4.5 weeks out! And all the sudden in the last 5 weeks I really am feeling like I definitely, really look pregnant. I feel like so much of pregnancy I was waiting for people to notice him and now, how could you not! But I am also feeling a bit nostalgic that it is coming to a close and that this phase of life is passing and we are onto a new one.
bonus: I haven’t really had any pregnancy cravings, which is kind of sad. You always expect there will at least be that one time you NEED to have ______. But that hasn’t really been the case for me. Haha boooring.. but I am still loving ice cream and chocolate ;)